View Single Post
Old 03-01-2016, 05:17 AM   #3
duttch1
AF Newbie

Re: 99 Tahoe misfire...I know, I know a thousand threads...BUT!

Hey, thanks for the info j cAT. The engine light has never come on and it has never pulled a code when checked....I take that back, I did get a check engine light (service engine soon) and coded it and got an emission sensor fault. I was told it was probably just crappy gas. The engine light did not come back on the next morning and I have not seen it since. It has never come on due to the misfire, never given me a code.

The MAF sensor is one thing I have not replaced. I did a fuel pressure test about 7 years ago, then again about 2 years ago and it's always read dead on (according to the repair shop). I replaced the fuel pump anyway because my sending unit went out. That was 2 years ago and I pressure tested again after replacement pump was installed.

I replaced the distributer about 1 year ago and have replaced the cap and rotor at least 8 times each over the years. Strangely, a new cap and rotor always helped reduce the misfire (although not completely gone) for a month or two, then it always comes right back same as it was.

I did have the fuel injection spider replaced about 3 years ago even though there was no code. I was grasping at straws for "fixes" and that was next in line in the fuel system. At the same time the shop replaced all of the upper engine gaskets (manifold, intake, etc) because I was beginning to get the coolant drips down the block. The crap part of the $$ repair is every since then, at least once a week, it starts hard. It always started right up with just a bump of the key (despite the rough idle). But now, occasionally, the engine will crank for 2 or 3 seconds before firing up.

I was told it might be one of the new injectors leaking down the pressure after shutting the engine off....?? I have not verified yet.
duttch1 is offline   Reply With Quote