View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 12:56 AM   #19
Nahkapohjola
AF Enthusiast

Re: No 3rd or 4th gear - MAXIMA 00

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockeed View Post
I cleaned all ground terminals in the engine bay today. I also cleaned the alternator + post and properly re-did my battery post connections so they are tight and firm.

Battery read 12.6V, after starting the car, reads 13.5 / 13.6V... good sign... (lets hope it last...)

I also did some tests again with the TCM. I went on the road and monitored the Shift solenoid A and B terminals with a multimeter. As expected, they come On and OFF depending on the gear you select. They seam to work fine. I tested the TPS and switch again, all is within specs. This kind of point out to either a mechanical tranny problem, or the TCM that might still be fried or unprogrammed....

Again, what makes me believe that there's a "software" issue with the car is that the transmission drop back from 2nd to first gear whitout notice or being needed... Also, let's say I'm doing 75km/h and I punch the gaz, it'll try to engage 1rst gear even if the car is traveling way too fast... that makes me believe that the TCM has an improper "speed" refference somehow... I already swapped the rev sensor, I tested it also with a multimetter so I know it's alive. My abs and speedo works properly... I just don't know where to look now... There should be a "vehicule speed sensor" on the trasmission, just not 100% sure where to look...SOme say on top of the differential... I tested it's terminal on the TCM while on the road but it gave me all sorts of voltages... Don't know if they're good or not...

Can the ECM be unprogramed or fried and sending wrong data to the TCM ?

Is it possible to flash (reprogram) a TCM ??
13.5V is not good AT BATTERY... It means TCU voltage too low. Work on it until you get 13.8V -or- the normal 14.2V. First things first: Low power means semi paralyzed logic.

Charge voltage - 14.2Volts at battery mean 13.5Volts at TCU, which is healthy. Anything less and youre wasting your time in this case... On 'normal non problematic vehicle' 13.8Volt can be accepted, if new alternator swap 'is to be scheduled'.

Everything is possible, however, no procedures exist. If you take eproms out, UV-erase, and have a eprom programmer, it can be done. But where would u get any better program...?

ECM & TCU work in tandem, surelly affect each other. How they do it, I dont know of any info given... Try to swap. But with low power, no point.

ECM has one basic datatable. Then it has second datatable used in 'learning'. FSM depicts the 20minute learning drive with various drive 'phases'. This ECM memory is cleared via taking batt off 30min or more... This feature basically re-tunes new swapped MAF signal handling with the rest inputs: all the low grade MAF units are individuals 'having their own lifestyle' and their output signals like blondies. However, ECM learns in 'four' hours of normal drive, cleaned=learning ECM gives more jerky drive.

Btw. If power is at loss, clean the MAF and clear ECM as depicted...

Maxima INFO pages was deliberately trashed (!?) by Cardomain; dont goto http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507

There was a special Car Electronics -page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/14
Nahkapohjola is offline   Reply With Quote