View Single Post
Old 11-03-2005, 11:39 PM   #114
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Re: Re: PCV Oil Catch Can, see what your engine is burning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R.
5-micron filter? Reminds me of the old bronze or metallic filters we used to use in the carburetor's gas inlet (Quadrajet? Holley?).

I wish I had one in my hands - However, all I know is that filters clog. It is only a matter of how fast. This is a filter that is being used for a purpose that it was not designed for in a system that was not designed for a filter - Also the system that if flow is restricted, crankcase (oil) contamination increases.

I am much too cautious to do this type of mod without having some way to test if the filter is clogging. Maybe replacing the entire unit (if that's what it takes) every 10k or so for peace of mind. Maybe back-flushing the filter with solvent periodically would be enough. I know that the old gasoline filters I mentioned above could not be cleaned by back-flushing. You had to throw them out once you got fuel starvation.

Maybe nothing is ever needed to keep it free-flowing. You guys will find out.
Brian,

The filter will not clog. There is no way this rigid filter type material will clog with a liquid.

The filter is not like you standard filter and you should go and actually look at these filters before you state they will clog. I have mine here and I KNOW it won't clog.

We aren't dealing with solids here, only GAS, and LIQUIDS.