View Single Post
Old 01-23-2004, 06:38 PM   #8
-DeaDLocK-
AF Newbie

Jon Dokic was a regular poster on PistonHeads and claimed to own a McLaren F1 and a Porsche 959 among a lot of other exotica.

PistonHeads embraced him as our very own übercar owner, and everyone knew his online persona. His family members also posted regularly and all of them were very much a part of PH - not just blabbing on about their cars but talking about all sorts of stuff. They were all very active members.

Jon himself a couple of times had apparently meaned to come to one of the PH meets, but never did actually make it.

The threads that did surface about his cars (and THE car) were all replied to with a knowledge and a frankness that would support the fact that he was indeed an owner. And we all happily went along for the ride. The Dokic family was very much "the" family on PH.

Then one day he allegedly died, and the thread announcing his death had hundreds of replies from well-wishers; such was his influence on the forums.

Things kind of simmered down after that, and the F1 was apparently sold.

I don't know all of the details, but some months after that all the forum accounts of the supposed Dokic family members got suspended. Ted, the moderator of the forums, has been keeping a tight lid on the whole affair on PH and has been preventing any talk of the issue. This is his perogative, I guess, though it leaves much of us in the dark as to the circumstances surrounding this matter.

From what I can gather, the bottom-line is that the Dokic family do not exist and do not own any of the cars they purport to own.

My personal suspicions of this were first aroused when I did a search on this forum for Dokic but came up with nothing, except a short post from tvrfreak expressing ambiguity on the whole thing. Also, though one could say it is extremely short-sighted of PH to not notice, I don't think anyone on PH ever actually met Jon or has seen any of his cars. Not a single photo of any of his vehicles was ever shown.

This may not sound like much of a big deal, but the core PH community are very close-knit and we have gatherings two to three times a year. The three Dokic members who posted on PH were very much a part of this core group, with a lot of offline correspondence as well, and unsurprisingly it must have come as sort of a shock to many members that these people (or person), who they assumed to be completely trustworthy, were nothing more than fraudsters.

Again, I am speculating here but I think this is the story. How it arised and how it was confirmed I do not know.

D

Last edited by -DeaDLocK-; 01-23-2004 at 08:46 PM.
-DeaDLocK- is offline   Reply With Quote