View Single Post
Old 11-07-2003, 07:48 PM   #5
welshtroedyrhiw
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: 87 Calais V6.. Torque Converter/Solenoid problem..???

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMerlin
There is a connector on the front of the transmission. You can unplug the connector to prevent the TCC from being applied.
The problem is that when the soleniod gets hot, it sticks in the apply position...thats why you get the chugging and stall.
If you install a toggle switch, the same thing will happen if the solenoid gets hot...even though there is no current to apply the solenoid, it will stay in the apply position.
Since there are only pressure switches in the trans that control the solenoid, if you diconnect the connector you should have normal shifting, just no TCC apply. Don't hold me to this, I don't have the schematic in front of me....disconnect the trans connector and see how it reacts.
Thanks for the reply
I will have a look at it tomorrow as we in Ontario Canada(tonight) are just getting our FIRST snow of the season
I recognised a small harness going into the trans(upper RH side)...Does it just carry the solenoid energiser wire and/or a ground...Do I have to take the pan off to disconnect properly...Are you saying that the solenoid is normally closed..that is the locking clutch plate always engaged??

If these questions appear dumb...its the snow

Thanks again

WelshBrit in Canada
welshtroedyrhiw is offline   Reply With Quote