View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #191
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1/8 Porsche 935/78 'Moby Dick'

Hello again...

Continuing with the steering rack, I added two pairs of styrene collars around the pinion output, then applied the greenstuff to smooth it off:

The greenstuff was tidied with a file and then the rack could be assembled, making sure that the pinion output was at the correct angle to suit the bulkhead. I added a little extra detailing with styrene and greenstuff to fill in the gaps, then drilled two small holes in the base of the mounting lugs so I could pin the rack in place:

I haven't got around to sorting out the end detailing for the main case yet - the styrene is prepared, I just need to attack it on the lathe sometime.

Next, I switched to the top mounts for the front suspension. Although the 935 will not be sitting for any length of time with all it's weight on the suspension, I want everything to be secure - I don't want bits getting knocked off every five minutes while I'm building. The chassis frame pinning has limited how far I can pin the RC balljoints into the crosstube, but it's enough to give me a starting point. I glued these in place and set to work on making some styrene reinforcement:

The baseplate here is 0.75mm thick styrene, and with the strip detailing glued in place, I trimmed back the base to match the outer profile. Here it is on the car:

I glued more thin styrene strip underneath, then added another layer of 0.75mm to create the next step of the mounting. This will then have two vertical sections added to it to complete the structure - here I've added the first:

There'll be more greenstuff added later to fill the gaps, and some extra tubes into the chassis frame. Hopefully the whole lot will be capable of surviving the rest of the build! One complication with this work is that the upper frame section has to remain removeable, so I have to be careful when I'm gluing - mustn't get carried away. So far, so good...

That's it for tonight - more next week.

SB
ScratchBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote