View Single Post
Old 12-15-2004, 09:45 PM   #8
CADguy
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: How to: Polishing with Meguiars Scratch X

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoomMX-5
Somewhat true, but not all compounds are created equal... this particular Meguiars product rocks on model paint...it cuts paint beautifully-high shine w/minimum effort-it smooths out as you buff the paint, it's superior to Tamiya compound that used to be my favorite. It handily beats Novus #2 that was my favorite before Tamiya compound. And it's available everywhere, but the tube will last a long time. Next time you need to buy compound, this is well worth it.
I didn't convey my main points of this article well, and you summed it up for me.

That one $8 tube has polished 24 cars so far, with about 1/2 left over. So there is a cost savings. One little tube of Tamiya compound is not cheap in hobby stores here in my area. If you can even find it.

It works with minimal effort as mentioned. Other rubbing compounds I've used took some major work and elbow grease. Not rubbing as much or with as much force leads to less rub throughs.

I've used Scratch X on enamels, and acrylic lacquers (Tamiya paints love this stuff) with great results.
This particular car was sprayed with CobraColors clear. It is an acrylic lacquer as well, but dries much harder than Tamiyas clear. It sands and polishes very nicely.