View Single Post
Old 02-02-2005, 12:03 PM   #15
Slowprocess
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Slowprocess
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Trying to understand TUNING CHIPs for new trucks.

[quote=bowtieguy]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowprocess
Unfortunately yes, the only way to knock out the torque management is through a tune upgrade. I know the Predator programmer takes out some of the torque management, but I'm not sure on the Superchips or the Hypertech. My tuner took out 100% of my torque management because I have a fully built transmission. A tuner can take out as much torque management as you want percentage wise. I wouldn't recommend going to high if you don't have at least a shift kit or a corvette servo. If you had both of these, you could most likely get away with 100%. Torque management will slowly get worse as you get more mods, because you'll be making more torque than what it will allow between shifts. I know....it sucks!!! I fought it for a long time. [/QUOTE

slowprocess, can you tell me more about the corvette servo? i know about shift kits and put one in my old 78 4X4. i am new to electronic transmissions i am used to turbo 350's and 400's , and dont know what is involved in using a corvette servo. is this something i may possibly be able to find in a salvage yard or be more advised to get a new one. my truck is a 02 Z71 with the 5.3 . what year corvette servo will work?i would appreciate any info you can help me with.
The corvette servo is a simple/cheap way to make the transmissions shift more crisp and firm. They are very inexpensive(around $15), and can be bought at any online transmission store. In fact, I think I picked mine up off of ebay. I think I have a diagram on my home computer that shows exactly how to install the servo. It can be done without the removal of the tranny. It just simply installs in the side of the transmission in place of your stock servo. With the addition of the servo and the shift kit(I always recommend Transgo), your shifts will be so much more crisp and to the point. The shift kit will enable you to have the shifts where you want them, either just barely firmer than stock-all the way to yanking second gear. I'll post up a link to where I got my servo, and also will see if I can hunt down that diagram. They're definately worth the little money they cost. I just saw where you asked what year. You'll want a corvette servo for a 4l60e.

Daily Driver- 00 Camaro SS A4 1/4- 12.30@118mph 2.14-60ft on street tires
Weekend Warrior-99 Silverado "Dirty" 1/4-11.63@118mph 1.8-60ft
Slowprocess is offline   Reply With Quote