View Single Post
Old 05-10-2004, 11:54 PM   #183
3000ways
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: The evo8 or ls1 firebird trans am??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph1082
Ok... last time I checked, Mitsubishi was not the most reliable car on the road... just ask any DSM owner. I second the notion that Japanese being more reliable is a myth, and any car can go long /w a little TLC. Resale value... oh yea, that new Kia for $8,995 is going to have great resale value!
I thought we pretty much acknowledged the fact that Evo's don't run 12s stock!
First off that whole $500 Nos argument is not good, because you could do the same thing to the EVO and get the same results, so what's your point?
Actually yeah there are EVOs that do run 12s stock, ever heard of the EVO MR or EVO FQ300 or EVO FQ330 (do some research). The EVO just like the Camaro has different variations of the model, for example you have the Base Camaro, Camaro Z28, and then the Camaro Z28 SS. The EVO also has different variations, which include the Base EVO, EVO MR, EVO FQ300, and then the EVO FQ330. The EVO MR, EVO FQ300, and EVO FQ330 all will run the 1/4 mile in the 12s stock, so really you haven't established anything yet. Pit the highest version of the EVO, the EVO FQ330 against the highest version of the Camaro, the Camaro SS and there is absolutely no competetion.
So in the USA the EVO that is for sell is pretty much the base version and it's with out it's 6-Speed and is down on horsepower to the Japanese and Euro version, yet it still is capable of low 13 second passes. But you are right, the EVO on sell in the USA right at this moment will not run 12s stock (not counting the occassional factory freaks) but that is until the EVO MR goes on sale in the Fall, and then yes the EVO will run 12s stock. The EVO MR will be a much better all around EVO, with it's lighter weight, more power and torque, 6-Speed Transmission (which will hold much more power and be more durable than the problematic 5-speed on the EVOs now), and have a revised suspension system that will turn the EVO into not one of the best handling cars for under $50,000, but the best (Elise will be up there with it too).
Your right about Mitsubishi realibilty, Mitsubishi is not the most realible, but then again neither is GMC. But I hope this discussion doesn't turn into an issue of realibility and re-sale value and get away from what matters and that's performance. The EVO on sale right now is awesome, it's all around performance can not be touched by the Mustang or Camaro. The EVO MR will be even better, and it's all around performance will not be touched by any car costing under $50,000 (except for the Elise and C6 Corvette). I have no interest in downing the Camaro or Mustang, for I also believe those two cars are awesome in their own respect, but also realize the potential and performance of the EVO and eventuall EVO MR, do not be ignorant just because you like the Camaro more than the EVO.