View Single Post
Old 07-29-2006, 07:36 PM   #25
KiwiBacon
AF Enthusiast

Re: Diesel Truck, Tubo outlet temp, Intercooler ducting

Quote:
Originally Posted by isuzu 4bd1t
Can anyone advise. I have a non modified Isuzu 4BD1T truck diesel. It has a 2" diameter thin wall steel pipe going directly from the standard turbo (about 5 psi boost I believe) Directly to the inlet manifold.

Aim is to get this to go up hills better with out having to change down as many gears.

Can anyone advise/guess the likely MAX teperature of the pipe going between the turbo and the inlet manifold? (Just a rough guess would be OK.) keeping in mind this is a low pressure trubo installation.

The reason for asking is that I am thinking about adding an intercooler and I have been looking at using some non silicon flexible pipe work. Rigid pipe work would be a real mission to get to an intercooler in front of the radiator. I have found some rubber hosing that wil take 150 degrees celsius and wondering if this will survive?

Can anyone advise if I intercool this with out changing the fueling am I likely to see any gain in power? and if so what woudl be a real rough guess in percentage terms?
I have a range rover with the same engine.
Mine runs 15psi boost and I have had the joy of instrumenting several parts of it (intake temps, exhaust temps, exhaust pressure etc).

With 15psi boost on a turbo with rooted compressor blades, the air temp at turbo outlet reaches around 150 C.
With 15psi on a turbo with good compressor blades the charge temp is down to 120 C.

Rubber radiator hose will handle these conditions for a short while, before oil degrades it.
Fuel hose will handle these conditions almost indefinitely. Silicon turbo hose will do the same job as the fuel hose for about 5 times the cost.

The formula for working out charge temps
Temp rise = compression ratio^(1.4-1/1.4)
Adiabatic outlet temp = inlet temp in kelvin (i.e 293K=20C) x temp rise
actual temp rise = adiabatic temp rise divided by efficiency

To save you some work, I have a spreadsheet.
5psi boost (I think you're running more) = 53 deg C outlet temp (20C inlet) with a 65% efficient turbo compressor.
KiwiBacon is offline   Reply With Quote