View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
sportracer02
AF Enthusiast

Cool Cayman Widebody Transkit by KA Models – Kit Review

Hi,

after I did my Cayman GT with parts from Scaleproduction and the good experience of a fellow modeller in another forum with building the Mercedes SLR with the 722 – KA Models transkit (http://www.razyboard.com/system/more...4770804-0.html ), I had the opportunity to have a closer look at the Cayman Techart Widebody-Transkit

I like the 1:1 car, however Techart make some widebody cars, where the wider parts are just glued to the body, no putty, so a step remains, where the original parts and the Techart parts meet.

I don´t like that, I´d prefer some putty to have a slick look.

KA´s transkit is just what Techart does, gluing the parts to the body. The overall impression isn´t bad, the model will look close to the 1:1 car. There is just one thing, that doesn´t look perfect. The part, that widens the rear fenders, isn´t going horizontal along the side skirt, but goes down towards the ground. This changes the side of the model dramatically, I would make it more horizontal.

Nevertheless, the quality of the parts, make me frown a little bit.

The etched parts are ok

The rear wing is white metal, has some imperfections and is far too big

The same with the wheels, sanding the mold-line is “great job” here, but as there are deeper scratches on the surface, it is a must, to putty, prime and paint them, just polishing the white metal won´t work.

Here some of the resin parts

The exhaust isn´t symmetric, one exhaust tube is longer and has another shape than the other, the holes are too small

This part comes to the rear, exhausts go through the holes. You can see again, the ends are not symmetric, the right side is 0,5 mm lower

Here the front, rear and widening for the rear wheels – lots of cleaning

On the rear part, lots of holes and imperfections …

… the same on the rear fender parts (holes, imperfections)

I ordered seats for my Ferrari 599, another disappointment

The seats back is ok,

but the lower parts are kind of useless

no structure to see, a clump of resin.

The SLR guy now builds a GT 40 with the KA transkit, the transkits front he threw away, it was bent and the lamps were mere resin clumps (http://www.razyboard.com/system/more...5056525-0.html )

So, to get it together:

Nice idea with the transkit, the execution could be better for ca. 65 - 70 Euro.

KA Model had a good start, but should work harder to provide the modeller with quality