View Single Post
Old 08-25-2004, 11:14 PM   #2
CivicSiRacer
Civic Mod

Send a message via ICQ to CivicSiRacer Send a message via AIM to CivicSiRacer
I'll have to comment on this article because I've been autocrossing for 8 years now.

While autocrossing is not for everyone, you cannot judge the "whole" on two people. Especially since they sound like novices in this case.

Autocrossing is a very time consuming sport. Each region might be a little different on the aspect of working, and it was not until this year that our region has even-ed things out with how long you have to work on course. It used to be the 2nd and 3rd heat workers would be out there for 1-2 hours while 1st and 4th heat would be out there for 30 minutes. Thanks to our autocross heads we have somewhat even-ed it out now to about 1 hour each heat.

But you also have to realize the amount of time the CORE WORKERS spend at the event, or even main people who organize the event. For our region CORE WORKERS get there around 6am (about 2 hours before everyone else arrives) to set up the course, registration tent, grid, barriers, tech, insurance waivers, timing equipment, or even sweep the course. During the event some of us are in the HOT timing truck with no breeze or fan for 5 hours, while others are helping out with instructing worker assignments, posting results. Then we are there til the event ends to clean up.

I'd say we are working about 10-12 hours at one event. I would gladly trade Greg for 2 hours and he can work my 10-12 hours.

Also Greg said he walked the course. Didn't mention how many or if he asked for help. There are plenty of people to ask for help if you do not understand the course. It took me a whole year or two to understand different aspects of the course completely. I can probably walk the course 5-7 times if I need to.

As far as the “ugly car” it would depend on how safe or unsafe the car was. I’ve seen many cars show up held together by duct tape, which of course would be unsafe. While others trying to pass tech inspection with 2 lugs holding the wheels.

I think a little more research should have been done before writing this article. Not only because autocrossing is a safer way to race, but it's more fun than you make it out to be in the article.
Buy my Civic parts!
CivicSiRacer is offline   Reply With Quote