View Single Post
Old 11-12-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: 1988 Caprice Classic. Carb Rebuild, $820?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emarkay View Post
Beware of remans and so called "quadrajet experts".
I know firsthand, these electronic units are getting rare...

Long story short - went through 3 poorly remanned unitts from a place in FL. (missing gaskets, poorly finished castings, etc...)
So I decided to tackle a rebuild. Got a similar carb from eBay, but found the transmission lever on the throttle base was grossly hacksawed off.
So I struggled to find another base. I bought one from a noted "expert". I replaced it and then found the throttle bushings on that base were shot. That ignorant SOB then charged me another $40 to fix his defective part - there's even a youtube video on this somewhere that I made over this - man was I annnoyed at that.
Successfully rebuilt this one, and then took it off as a spare and then, did the same thing with the original carb. It has been flawless for years now!

Get a quality rebuild kit, a clean workspace and a shop manual and you too can become an expert; one even better that so-called authority from online and the old car / performance magazine ads!

PS: I do not believe the above poster is related to this - send him a note, $350 is a fair price for an E4ME rebuild if it is done correctly!
that is what I was getting at concerning the rebuild of this. not an easy task to find someone that is qualified to do the job properly ..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote