Thread: Beadlock Wheels
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2002, 02:58 AM   #53
Kerensky97
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by RticQl8
... but I intend to do my best to avoid such damages without the added protection of body armor. I just don't want the weight, my gas mileage is bad enough as it is and given the amount of driving I do in mud I don't want to deal with the hassle of cleaning them out.
I've been on some pretty rocky trails and haven't ever hit any vital components under the Xterra.
In my experience the most hit portions are the forward leaf spring hangers in back and the lower control arms up front.

My solution is to get a 3" lift first.
If you want an alternative to skid plates you can just lift everything up off the ground a bit more.
For me skid plates can come later for piece of mind.

In my expereince you go wheeling a few times and see what the weak points are for your type of wheeling and your local terrain, THEN you start putting on mods to shore up the weak spots.

From the pics PNWX has shown I can see why sliders and skid plates are the mod of choice.
They got big rocks sticking right out of the middle of the trail!

I'm not sure how it is in So Cal but here we get more rock ledges than rocks. Lifting yourself over things is a bigger priority

So think over what mods you want to do. What works best for you is probably different from most.

2000 Nissan Xterra XE, Sport Package, 4X4, Automatic.

And yes its better than yours.
Kerensky97 is offline   Reply With Quote