View Single Post
Old 01-08-2014, 06:11 PM   #1
evims
AF Newbie

Need Help - Keyless Ignition Won't Start - Versa

Hello Automotive Forums, I'm in a bit of a pickle and I was hoping someone here could offer some insight.

I have a 2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback, with a keyless ignition system. About a year ago, I started having issues with it. Over the last year, I have not been able to move the ignition switch back into the "Lock" position. It stays on the 1 position at all times. As a result, it is constantly beeping. I don't really have any problems with it draining the battery, as long as I drive it every day.

About a week ago, my car wouldn't start. I tried it a few more times, and eventually it started. It happened a few more times after that, and now it doesn't seem to want to start at all. This morning on my way to work, I got in the car, turned the ignition and it started immediately. However, when I went to start the car after work, it would not start. I tried starting it for over an hour before calling a friend. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to when it will and when it won't start, and I have a feeling that I will be able to start it tomorrow morning (which would be nice, so I can at least get it home). My friend tried jumping it, just to try it out and the result is exactly the same. The battery appears to be fine, I can turn on the radio and all of that. Another odd piece of information that might help is that if I push the button on the door, and the car unlocks that way it will start guaranteed. However, if I push the button and the car doesn't unlock, it will not start.

I haven't taken it in because I don't have any money to spare really. I don't know how much it will cost to repair, but I feel like it will be more than I have to give at this time and for the near future.

I have uploaded a video to youtube that shows exactly what I've described here and I would really appreciate it if some of you pros could take a look and tell me something I could try, or maybe give me a ballpark estimate on a repair. Thanks in advance.
evims is offline   Reply With Quote