View Single Post
Old 09-13-2006, 02:36 PM   #47
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: Tacoma FAQs and Information

TRANSMISSION FLUIDS

Q: My '97 Tacoma is a little low in tranny fluid. I checked the book and it states using Dextron ll Automatic Tansmission Fluid. I have been to two different stores in the area and no one seems to have it. Is there another name that it goes by? What gives???? I even called the Toyota Dealer and he said that Dextron ll is the correct fluid for my Tacoma. What's going on? I feel as though I'm in a twilight zone!!!! I even checked Advance Auto online and there isn't a listing for it there either. Any help would be appreciated!

A: You can use Dexron III anytime Dexron II was recommended.

From Chevron.com:
Maintaining Your Transmission

These days there's no such thing as "normal" driving conditions. Heavy stop-and-go traffic, frequent short trips, trailer towing; they all put your engine to the supreme test and can take a toll on your transmission. Under these tough conditions, you can help your transmission run better and longer when you follow the vehicle manufacturer's severe service schedule and change the automatic transmission fluid at the recommended intervals (typically every 15,000 to 30,000 miles). Also, if you suspect that your ATF has oxidized or deteriorated between service intervals, you may want to consult with your local automotive service center.

Selecting the proper quality of ATF is not as easy as it once was. In the past, ATF came in two types: DEXRON®, MERCON® or ATF Type F. However, as transmissions have become more advanced, automobile manufacturers have introduced fluids specifically designed for their transmissions. Always check your owner's manual for the required type of ATF.
Here are the most commonly specified ATFs:

DEXRON® -III
This is a specification for General Motors vehicles, but many foreign manufactures specify a DEXRON approved ATF as well. DEXRON-III can be used in transmissions that call for DEXRON-IIE or DEXRON-II.

MERCON®
Most Ford vehicles manufactured between 1980 and 1999 specify a MERCON ATF. ATFs that meet DEXRON-III requirements usually meet the MERCON requirements as well.

MERCON® V
Beginning with the 1997 model year, Ford introduced a higher performance level ATF with the MERCON V specification. Many Ford automatic transmissions from 1999 on will require a MERCON V fluid. The most notable exceptions are the E40D, 4R100, and CD4E transmissions, which still specify regular MERCON ATF.

Type F
Type F is specifically designed for all pre-1977 Ford vehicles and some makes between 1977 and 1981. Effective March 1997, Ford discontinued administration of approvals for Type F fluids. However, there are still many vehicles on the road that use Type F. Type F and MERCON fluids are not interchangeable.

ATF+3® /ATF+4®
DaimlerChrysler has had their own ATF specifications for many years, but as of 1997, Chrysler owners' manuals no longer list DEXRON as an acceptable replacement. ATF+3 is a readily available mineral oil-based ATF that is suitable in any application calling for ATF PLUS® , ATF+2® , or a Type 7176® fluid. Vehicles manufactured after 1999 require ATF+4® , a synthetic-based ATF only available through DaimlerChrysler.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"