View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

Monogram Jaguar XKE (kit 2907) 1:24

First of all, I've checked the dimensions of this kit and it is not 1:24 despite what the box/instructions says.

It is closer to 1:25 and without having the actual kit to check against, I'm certain that it is a rebox of this.

Anyways.

Pretty straight forward build with a few small additions.
I fixed the eternal E-Type kit problem of body seam by cutting the sill area parts from the lower half of the chassis and fixing them onto the upper half.
This meant that I could carefully fit (force) the interior into the body then slide the bottom of the chassis into place.
Of course, I planned this without realising that the steering wheel gets in the way.
It worked out fine in the end...

Primed with Halfords Grey Plastic Primer undercoat, sanded then top coated with Tamiya Light Grey.
Paint is Hycote Double Acrylic Ford Purple Velvet Metallic
Cleared with Hycote Double Acrylic Clear

Some shots of parts.

Quite nice engine block.
Chrome on cam covers is a little thick but other that that, this builds into a nice little thing.
Missing a few things like starter motor and no fuel delivery details on the carbs either that I scratched up from various diameter styrene rods.

The front chassis frame is very nice and surprisingly complete.
Once installed though, it isn't 100% which makes fitting additional detailing parts a little akward.

From left to right:
Fuel filter, brake booster assemble+vacuum bellows, vacuum chamber.

Frame with various bits added.
Washer bottle was carved out of a chunky bit of clear parts tree plastic with the original bottle lid sawn off the kit part and added.
I gave the reservior bottles a little sawing to make the bottle caps more noticable.

With engine fitted.
You can't really see it because it's mostly black on black but the brake booster-vacuum chamber has been plumbed in.
Didn't wire the brakes though because that is too much of a logistical nightmare in the very cramped space of the frame since at this point I had already fixed the engine on place

Independent rear suspension.
Very nicely done that with a little work, you can actually make into a fully working version.
I replaced the kit springs with my own little styrene+wire shocks because the kit parts are awful - not ever a realy spring coil detail.

In place.

A test fitting of engine+frame onto bodywork to check fitment.

What this doesn't tell you is that if you build according to the instructions, the front clamshell doesn't actually want to fit. When closed, the front clamshell will pull the engine+frame forward out of position by about 1mm.
Simply remedied by mounting the hinge parts on a bit of styrene but future builders beware.
Otherwise, this is a very nice kit to build and with a bit more planning could be turned into a very nicely detailed model but I'm saving that for the Heller kit that is 1:24.

Read them.

Currently in the process of re-hosting my photos.
If any go missing, drop me a PM.
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote