View Single Post
Old 10-29-2004, 05:29 PM   #1
PJF220
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to PJF220
Restoration of my Hillman Imp Californian

As some will know, I have been restoring a Hillman Imp Californian. It was built in 1967 and I took ownership in 2000. It was really Ocober 2003 when the main work started and the old wings came off and new ones welded on. Then came a new bonnet and two new doors. The welding was done by my mate and then his mate resprayed it for me in the original factory colour. I got the car back in March and hoped to get it completed for it's club's National event in August but sadly I got a contamination in the fuel so missed it this year. The car is now just about completed and should be going for it's first MOT in over 20 years next week. It has to be the first car I have ever owned for 3 years before finally driving it!!! I have added up the majority of the bills and I have spent the best part of £5000 ($10000) though when I think about the small things like new nuts and bolts, tins of paint and other consumables, I guess I easily broke the £5000($10000) mark. It's all been well worth it and I now have a brand new car that was first built in 1967 and then rebuilt by myself some 37 years later:

And this is the most recent photo I have right now. It was taken when my mate and I fitted the new doors on...please excuse his rather rude jesture

Lewis James (02-17-2022)