Old 05-04-2020, 09:50 AM   #9
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Cool Re: Another Tire Pressure Question! Front-Rear Considerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
I'm getting a mixed message here. On the one side, you said you
liked what the change in tire pressures did, and on the other you said you
like understeer. Those of mutually incompatible positions.

And I think it would be better to raise the fronts and not lower the rears.
Lowering the rears makes the rear end looser, while raising the fronts makes
the front end tighter.

I am not in favor of deviating from the placard specs without careful
consideration.

And I certainly wouldn't change the front/rear split without that same sort of
consideration.

What I enjoy is a crisp turn-in, which I get by adding a few psi to both the front
and rear. I think this principle operates regardless of the way the car was set up.

So, No! I am not in favor of setting the pressures the same all around, unless
they were specified that way.

Yes, we agree. But I like a few psi year round.

And one last point:

Not according to Tire Guides. They list all Hyundai Elantras with a 32 psi spec
in the 2013 and 2014 model year.
1) Looser Rear Ends: Lowering rear TP might have that effect in most cars, particularly those with indie in back, but not with that particular Hyundai Camar-COUGH COUGH!! -Elantra(!). With that generations revert to a torsion beam rear end, my lowering the rear cold pressures actually calmed the da__ed thing down. I was taking turns even more aggressively with it set up that way than before. The Elantra rear tendency to kick out in turns on rough pavement, or when traversing highway deck joints, was pleasantly reduced.

2) Elantras 32 spec: Then my M.Y. Elantra must have been the first of the 'MD/UD' generation to increase cold pressure to 33psi. Likely primarily in the interest of boosting CAFE compliance.

I bought the car in 2016 as a wreck replacement. I drove it for one week on 32psi cold all four tires, in the spring, not too hot or cold seasonally. It felt like a CAR again, instead of the basketball-on-wheels I had purchased, at 33psi. By 2018, I was doing the Rear32, Front34 offset thing, didn't lighten steering up too much, and helped my gas mileage a bit.

Capri:
I still maintain that the main(not only) reason car makers specify a single cold pressure in cars with a greater GAWR split(60/40) than in cars with a lesser GAWR split((55-45) that do specify a pressure difference) simply because it is easier for the demographic that buys that particular car to remember where to set it. That demographic typically checks their tire pressures at most 2x per year, and any more than that only when something looks or feels 'off'. As long as it gets them to work, that's all they care about, not fine-tuning the handling.

Applying a pressure split in my Elantra and 2005 Corolla worked for us. And that's all that matters. I might not have to apply much of a split in my present Accord's pressure, what with a wishbone up front and indie rear, and a recent good alignment, I'm already lovin it.

Last edited by RidingOnRailz; 05-04-2020 at 10:43 AM.
RidingOnRailz is online now   Reply With Quote