View Single Post
Old 01-03-2002, 10:22 PM   #2
praxis
AF Enthusiast

Keep in mind...someone like us has owned this car. He has probably beat on it. I would tell your friend to buy a car that has NOT been modified and then modify it himself.

This guy may be asking way to much for the car (although you didn't say how much...alot of people like to whore out Hondas...especially equipped with B series engines). How many miles does it have? (or for that matter, can he prove how many miles the engine has?) You say that he seems knowledgable...be sure that he doesn't start feeding you a bunch of technical bullshit (meaning things that are not true...but he makes you believe).

Nitrous is great if it is installed properly and installed with the proper components. It is important that timing is adjusted properly. Cams should be replaced (not sure if this is a rule...but is defineately my opinion). Air/fuel ratios are very important. And many other factors. (try checking in the Turbo/NOS/Superchargers forums).

The only way to PROPERLY check vtec is to check the 'lost motion assemblies', which requires removing the valve cover, lost motion assembly holder, and the lost motion assemblies themselves. Basically, you push on the plungers and see if they move smoothly. You would also want to check the solenoid for proper resistance, oil pressure, and since this car did not come stock with vtec...make sure that he wired it in. (I know that this can cause a problem...when I swapped my engine, the harness from the fender to ecu wasn't wired for vtec...I drove around for 2 weeks without vtec and never knew it.)

As far as driving it to check that everything is working...I would drive it directly to someone that specializes in NOS to have them check it out (don't go to the shop that he recommends...it may be the same shop that installed and they may be on HIS side).

Sorry that this sounds like paranoia but that's what happens when...:smoker:

PraxisPerformanceAutoworks LLC High performance autoparts & accessories.
praxis is offline   Reply With Quote