View Single Post
Old 09-23-2004, 03:36 PM   #3
mike@af
Captain Over Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to mike@af Send a message via AIM to mike@af Send a message via Yahoo to mike@af
Re: Re: What it takes: A Day in the Life of a Car Designer (Part 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondiechick
I think it's great that they explain in detail how much work it really is to be a Car Designer. I am currently taking AUTO CAD in my high school. It is a field that I see myself entereing. I think it's great that there is really no time limits, or barely any limits to the job. You can let your imagination run wild, as long as the car runs properly of corse. I would like to know how much money they make anually though.
I am glad you liked the article. As I stated in the article, I am currently designing my hot rod. There is so much involved in the project itself, as I explained. I am having to design the little adjustment knobs on the seats and other small parts such as that.

Glad to hear to are taking a class using AutoCAD. Do the best you can in that course, even if you do hand drawing which can bum you out, still put forth your best effort. I too am taking a drafting course at my high school. I have taken the class for 4 years, I'll be going into my 5th year next year. Our school has the class set up as a 3 year course, so these two "extra" years I changed the class to car design. Like I said, do your best and you will go far. Which leads me to the answer to your money question.

I currently do some free-lance CAD drafting. Since I am still in high-school the pay is not as much as it normally would be if I had graduated from college with a degree in Industrial Design or Transportation Design. However, I have won awards, and have high honors at my school so that does help a whole lot, thats why I say do your best. Depending on the job, the pay values. I did work for a buddies model business making $14/hour, currently I am doing work for a buddy that works with Home Depot making $50-$100USD per drawing.

As far as annual pay for Transportation Design, it depends on what you do. It ranges from $80,000USD-$200,000USD per year. Look around, get experience, do extras, and try to get awarded.

Hope that helps!

mike.lawrence@automotiveforums.com | AutomotiveForums.com | Flickr Gallery
mike@af is offline   Reply With Quote