Thread: Walmart tires
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 09:42 PM   #16
tom3
AF Enthusiast

Re: Walmart tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom3 View Post
I am probably the hardest guy on the planet to please when it comes to tires. Worked in a tire shop years ago, I know the ropes. Usually go to Sears locally, guys are really sharp and tires are first rate, and really high priced, but service is top notch. Well, decided to put some cheaper rubber on my old Camaro, looked around and decided to try a set of the Walmart Douglas tires. Noted Walmart had a Hunter wheel balancer, good machine. Sales guy was pretty sharp, said he came from an independant garage where he worked for years. Said these tires were made by Goodyear under a Walmart contract. Very good price and the full service contract at under 10 bucks was darn good too. Now have about 6000 miles on the tires, run perfect, smooth, quiet, no tread wear evident at all. I'm completely satisfied, and that's something. BTW, worse tire service I've ever gotten was at a Goodyear service store. Hard to believe I know, but that's what I've seen.
Since this post came back, an update.

The Douglas tires went to crap at about 25k miles. Started vibrating a bit, and got really noisy. The vibration wasn't all that bad, and the tire wear was excellent, tires still have 75% tread left maybe, but the noise got so bad I had to get them off the car. Bought a set of Michelins, better ride quality right off, and these tires are silent. We'll see how they age I guess. Sure not a cheap set of tires at any rate. Bought these tires at Walmart, another excellent install and best price I could find. But beware their "house brand" tires.
tom3 is offline   Reply With Quote