Thread: Just Curious
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2016, 08:20 AM   #6
MarkAussie
AF Newbie

Re: Just Curious

Hi from Australia,

Ford Laser/s in their many variants. Ford Australia and Mazda entered into a cross marketing "badge engineering" arrangement in the 1980's. I think Ford Australia received the better deal on this with access to the Mazda 323 engineering. The Mazda 323 with a Ford badge in Australia is/was not just a blue oval stuck on a a Mazda of the time. The Laser body was substantially different and very easily identified as a Ford. I am concentrating mainly on the 1989 to 1992 Laser KF Series as sold in Australia.

Usually three grades of trim and three sets of mechanical specification.
The Laser GL - base model with either the Mazda B6 1.6 litre SOHC engine. Carburettor only - four speed manual trans or the Mazda/Jatco three speed auto.

The Laser GLi - 1.8 litre DOHC with electronic fuel injection. Four and five speed manual trans and (I think) the Mazda/Jatco four speed auto instead of the three speed.

Airconditioning available across the range.

The Laser GLi Ghia - all the Ghia trim and equipment options.

And, the Laser TX3 - the thinly disguised road/track rocket.

Body wise the five door hatch is the most popular.

These days a 1991 or so Laser sells from scrap value to about $3,000 depending on condition. Usually 250,000 to 300,000 plus kilometers on the clock and a bit tired.

But, occasionally a gem comes by. My 1991 Laser GL auto had 117,334 km when I bought it a year ago. (72,907 miles in 23 years). Original log books, everything. And, all brand new components forward of the firewall. And I mean everything.

Over time I will bore forum members with details recorded almost on a daily basis as to what I have done with my Laser and how it performs and any little niggles or failures. Actually no failures at all. So a Rolls Royce may, "fail to proceed". A Laser just sits up and almost says, "where to today and gently or spirited as we go" Sir".

Regards,

Mark Aussie.
MarkAussie is offline   Reply With Quote