View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 01:54 AM   #2
enslow
AF Regular

Re: Steering Rack Re and Re (1997 LeSabre)

I highly recommend changing your power steering pump and lines. The cost of a new pump is small compared to doing this job, I'd just do it. I'd also install new tie-rod ends and ball joints, and while you're under there, change the end links.

Power Steering Pump:
1) Disconnect the negative battery terminal (7 mm, I think).
1_battery terminal.jpg
2) Use a turkey baster to remove fluid from the PS reservoir. Have a jar as close as possible to you while you do this because it will drip.
2_Turkey Baster.jpg
3) Remove accessory belt. Turn couterclockwise until belt slips off alternator. Start wrench from a verticle position. My picture shows the wrench too far forwards If you start with it too close to the front you won't be able to remove the wrench after.. (15 mm long handled 3/8" ratchet works well)
3_Tensioner.jpg
4) Jack up and support vehicle on pinch seam. You will not be able to support the vehicle on the sub-frame because you will be lowering this later.
5) Remove front wheels.
6) Remove the first 4-5 rearward push pins from front right fender skirt. Fold off to the right. You may have to temporarily remove the ABS wire from the clip to move the skirt far enough.
7) Detach the return line (the one with the spring clip) from the PS pump. A heater hose tool is VERY useful here. Place end of hose into a jar.
heater hose tool.jpg
8) Turn the steering wheel from stop to stop until as much liquid comes out as possible.
9) Remove pressure line (3/8")
10) Remove two PS pump bolts (13 mm). Access through the holes of the pump pulley. The top bolt is in about the one o'clock position, the other at the 5 o'clock position. A magnetic pick up tool is really handy to pull the bolts out once they're loose from the threads.
PS pump bolt.jpg
11) Detatch electrical connector clip.

Last edited by enslow; 04-09-2012 at 02:40 AM.
enslow is offline   Reply With Quote