Thread: Home Setups
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2007, 11:22 AM   #4
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

Re: Home Setups

Here's my setup:

Sherline 'longbed' lathe, with milling attachment and rotary table. It's pretty modest sizewise, but it's more than sufficient for modeling use. A Sherline XY milling base would give me a much bigger working envelope, but I don't really have the space for it right now.

It doesn't usually look like this- I tend to keep it all under a 2.000" deep layer of insulative aluminum and plastic swarf. But since you guys have such nice looking workspaces, I decided to clean up a bit.

The tackle box contains the associated odds and ends- end mills and lathe cutting bits, measuring tools, edge finders, a sensitive drilling attachment, a set of milling parallels, lathe chuck, holddowns, and on and on.

Not pictured is the band saw- which is another crucial piece of gear. I have a POS from Harbour Fright, but it suits my needs. I also want a small drill press- but it hasn't been critical enough to buy yet. The mill will do much of the function of a drill press, but it's much slower to use this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTmike400
I use a very special Sherline lathe that has a lot of history, and am honored to have it.
You should be. Augie was a terrific guy, and he continues to inspire.