View Single Post
Old 02-21-2019, 02:02 PM   #11
RidingOnRailz
AF Enthusiast

Cool Re: ** Tire Pressure Poll **

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
I've always puzzled why mechanics and even tire shop personnel haven't gotten the message that the vehicle tire placard is at least a good starting point, and the max pressure written on the sidewall is not. Having been a tire engineer for over 40 years, I know where those 2 values come from and the sheer arbitrariness of the sidewall pressure renders that value unconnected with anything technical, where the placard value was at least looked at by the engineers designing the vehicle.

I will set tire pressures to -5psi from what's on the tire only in circumstances where the vehicle mfg load decal is missing or illegible, if it will get the car to a place where I can find out the correct recommended settings. And that's for a 44psi tire. For a 51psi max cold stamped tire, I'll set to -10psi below that, again until I can get to a place where I can get the correct info.

With sites like tirepressure.com, that should not take long!

As for mechanics, they should know better than the general public. But even the public go mostly by what's stamped on the tires, and never get to experience the true comfort & handling potentials for their vehicular investment. Sad!
RidingOnRailz is offline   Reply With Quote