View Single Post
Old 07-05-2008, 02:39 AM   #8
mrsberkes454
AF Newbie

Re: what is the major problems on geo prizm?

Never mind bout the dr problem, did some looking and found this from a couple yrs ago...my problems solved on that tip

Hi,

I am going through posts on stuck rear doors with the Rodeo's and came across your post. I too had a stuck rear door and managed to get it open yesterday. It turns out that both rear door locks were rusted and I had to grease the hell out of them to get them working again. I got instructions from "AllDataDIY.com" how to open the door and I'll attempt to describe how to do it:

You first have to make a tool out of roughly 1/8" diameter metal (I used a thick coat hanger - I tried to draw it out here but it won't display properly) approximately 12.5" long - you need two 90 degree bends at each end and in the same direction so that the tool will be roughly bent .625" on one end, straight for about 8.25" and bent on the other end approximately 3.5".

Once you've made this tool, go lift the rear door handle of the stuck door and you'll notice a small opening at the back of the handle - you want to put the small end of the handle facing down through the hole and you're trying to get to/catch the release lever and push up on it. It took me about 20 minutes of feeling around before I finally got it. Spray WD 40 or some other lubricant into the hole if it won't budge. Be careful as I knocked loose the door lock linkage and with too much force you can bend it. (I didn't care that I knocked the linkage loose since I had to pull the door panel off anyway to get to the rusted lock). In my case I first got the door 1/2 open since the lock was so rusted, sprayed WD40, let it sit a while then tried it again with success.

If you manage to get the door open and pull the panel off, you'll notice the lock and linkages completely rusted. You can replace the locks or do what I did, lubricate the hell out of them. I hope this works for you and good luck. I just finished my project this morning.