View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 05:53 PM   #4
MAD_MIKE
AF Newbie

Re: Borg Warner T-50 question

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndesch
I have an Borg Warner 5 speed transmission that I understand is from a Monza. I am wanting to install it in my '57 chev pickup. It has the correct splines and bolt pattern to install in the truck. What lube is used in this gearbox?
For use in a pickup you will want the shifter moved forward.
If the Monza T50 uses the same tailshaft as the other GM T50s then it is probably too close to the seat to be able to shift. Unless you have changed to bucket seats.
Luckily if you are planning on using the T50 bell housing then you can use an S-series or Astro 2wd T5. Which has the shifter closer to the firewall and ideal for a truck application.

Quote:
Is there anyplace that would offer parts for this transmission. I am needing a new rubber boot for the shifter.
Not for the GM T50. Most shops will inform you that they cannot service this transmission. If they can it probably will be costly. You can try the GM service departments and ask them to run a nationwide inventory check.
You may be able to use or modify a common T5 boot as a dust cover.

There is a T50 transmission that is used in the Corolla Levin Trueno AE86 cars that is not the same transmission, if you find parts for a 'T50' confirm that it is the B-W GM transmission that you have.
Casting numbers for the GM T50 should begine with 13-38-****.

Quote:
I had a transmission shop open the unit up and evaluate it. They indicated the box should work just fine. I am using the original 235 engine so am assuming this box will work.
John
The Blue Flame is a mild engine, but the T50 is not the strongest of gearboxs. It was originally used in 76-79 GM cars with horsepower below 110HP net. It does have a first gear ratio of either 3.10 or 3.40.
If this is just a cruiser then it should be fine with mild driving.
If you plan on beating on it from time to time I would reccomend a switch to the S-series or Astro T5.
MAD_MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote