Thread: obdII help
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2020, 10:37 PM   #4
Mission Man
AF Newbie

Re: obdII help

ok
now let me give you the rest of the story.
When I posted this, I had discovered that the vehicle's transmission was going into safe mode meaning that it would start out in 3rd gear unless you manually shifted it into low. Also a few codes had been cleared which were high voltage, o2 sensor bank 2 sensor 1 heater, and a few others. After clearing codes the Rodeo did not return to normal shifting....
I have replaced the 02 sensors on the passenger side of the Rodeo but it did not seem to take care of the safe mode shifting, or so I thought.
One thing I have failed to mention in all this is that there has been an ABS and brake light coming on. I noticed the brake fluid was low and topping that off took care of the brake light but not the other. Thinking that was a different problem altogether I have been ignoring that until the morning (rather cool morning) I left for work and the Rodeo shifting beautifully 13 times until the ABS light came on again. Yes that morning no warning lights of any sort were showing on the dash.
When I got to work and checked for codes, even though the check engine light was off, I found that there was an 02 bank 2 sensor 1 code pending.
So, the current status is that I have noticed when the Rodeo is cold, no codes, and or dash lights are on and she shifts like supposed to for about 5 miles, give or take a few, and then the ABS light comes on. But, if I have the blower motor going, the lights and fog lights on, and then turn on the rear window defroster, the ABS light goes out. doesn't help with the fail safe shifting but seems quite odd. Also, I notice that with all this on, at times the battery and brake light will come on but will be dimmer as well as the head lights and a little slower hum in the blower motor until I turn the defroster off. I'm wondering if I have a bad ground somewhere or the alternator is malfunctioning but bumps in the road do not seem to cause a change in the symptoms either way and my battery/charging system tester shows the charging is ok.
I have recorded more of the original listed data as it has been changing from time to time, unfortunately, that info. is in the Rodeo at work and will have to be posted at a later date.
Any thoughts?????
Mission Man is offline   Reply With Quote