Old 01-02-2006, 08:17 PM   #15
raycorri
AF Regular

Re: Re: Passlock System

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-2500
Ok
Fellows be carefull out there.
I ran this by an double checked it with a GM master anti theft tech.
And here is the hole ball of wax on it.

there is no such thing as Passlock 1 or 2, unless you are talking about PassKey, which has 1,2, or 3....

MT
I see your point and certainly understand your concern. The initial question was something to the effect of, "Is it possible and has anyone done it?" This bulletin from GM clearly describes the procedure that I used (or should have used) on my vehicle and addresses all of the concerns that you mentioned.(ie.-battery disconnect or dead battery.)(Incidentally, I disconnected my battery for a day and reconnected it. Then I placed my toggle switch in the Enable mode to put the system back on as in this bulletin. The car started up fine. I then disabled the Passlock again with no problems.) Please print out this document and have your friend read it. Maybe he can shed some further light on it.
http://www.gmupfitter.com/publicat/bull/bull26.pdf

I agree with you that you need to get the vehicle running without any Security light flashing or staying on before you start this modification. Once the "Hall Effect Sensor" goes completely bad in the Ignition Lock Cylinder it's too late to try this method. You will just have to replace the Ignition Lock Cylinder before you can get the car to start again. Those of us that have had numerous failures with the Ignition Lock Cylinder are just too fed up and too broke to not try something else.

As for the term Passlock, I don't know what to tell you. The above document from GM and my 2002 Alero Owner's Manual refer to it as Passlock. This Motor Age article gives a brief history of GM's anti-theft systems also:

http://www.motorage.com/motorage/dat...09/article.pdf

The Vehicle Anti Theft System (VATS) was first installed on the 1985 Corvette. The Personal Anti-theft Security
System (PASSkey) replaced VATS in 1988, and while there
are some differences, VATS and Passkey I and II all work
the same way. There is no radio communication involved;
the system merely looks for the ignition key’s unique electronic
signature. Passkey III and the newer Passlock systems
were introduced in 1998, but the earlier systems
weren’t completely phased out until 2003.

Here's another document explaining the Passlock sensors:

Document ID# 468000
1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass

Vehicle Theft Deterrent (VTD) Description

Important
Due to component variability, the vehicle theft deterrent (VTD) system must have the learn procedure performed regardless, if the vehicle starts on the first ignition cycle after a VTD repair.

All codes in the theft deterrent module must be cleared for a relearn.

The vehicle theft deterrent system is designed in order to prevent vehicle theft by disabling the fuel injectors unless the lock cylinder is correctly engaged by a mechanical key. The theft deterrent system uses the following 4 components for theft prevention:

The lock cylinder
The ignition switch
The body control module (BCM)
The powertrain control module (PCM)
When starting the engine, the PCM searches for a password from the BCM through the Class 2 serial data circuit. If the password is not recognized or not present, the PCM will disable the engine. Two modes of tamper detection are provided:

No password received The engine will start and stall quickly. SECURITY telltale will flash on the instrument panel cluster (IPC) and then stay ON steady.
Incorrect or disable password received (More than 3 invalid passwords are received) The engine is disabled for at least 10 minutes and the SECURITY telltale will illuminate solid on the IPC during the 10 minutes.
After the vehicle has passed theft detection, the PCM will continue normal operation.

Ignition Switch
The mechanical key and lock cylinder is located in the instrument panel assembly. The electrical switching portion of the assembly is separate from the key and lock cylinder. Both of the components are synchronized and work in conjunction through the action of the actuator rod assembly.

Passlock™ Lock Cylinder
The Passlock™ lock cylinder is a locking cylinder that turns a rotating magnet past a stationary hall effect sensor. This action creates the Passlock™ cylinder data. The Passlock™ cylinder data is sent to the body control module (BCM). The Passlock™ lock cylinder is interfaced with the BCM via a 3-wire connection:

Power
Ground
Data

Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is located on the lower left side of the instrument panel.

The PCM communicates with the body control module (BCM) via serial data over the class 2 serial data bus, CKT 1807. When the BCM determines a passed theft condition, the BCM sends a coded password to the PCM. When the PCM receives the correct password, the PCM enables the fuel injection system, allowing the vehicle to operate correctly. The PCM may allow the car to start and quickly stall during a failed theft condition.

The following conditions may cause the PCM to enter a tamper mode:

A bad timing cycle
An incorrect password
If the BCM does not receive a password within a preset time window, the BCM will enter a short tamper mode. During this mode, the PCM will not allow the car to operate for 4 seconds.

If the password is incorrect, the PCM will enter the long tamper mode. In the long tamper mode, the following actions will occur:

The THEFT SYSTEM indicator will flash.
The fuel injectors will be shut off for approximately 10 minutes.
Although the vehicle may start, the engine will quickly stall due to a fuel cut-off.

In the event of an open in the serial data communication between the BCM and the PCM, the following actions occur:

The PCM will become fail-enabled if the car has already passed theft for that ignition cycle (i.e. the engine is running).
The PCM may set the diagnostic trouble codes (DTC).
The THEFT SYSTEM indicator will light continuously.
The PCM will become fail-enabled for future ignition cycles.
If a failure occurs in serial data before the ignition cycle, while the PCM is not fail-enabled, the PCM will never receive a valid password in order to enable the continued use of the fuel injectors.

All of that to say this...... This is really a great forum. You are able to question the information that I provided because you really care that others are hearing all sides of the discussion. I question your friend's information too. Has he seen the Motor Age article or the GM UIB(Upfitter Integration Bulletin) that I have referred to? A title doesn't necessarily make him right. That's not an attack on him by any means. You know none of this would be necessary if GM would just stand up and take responsibility for a defect. I'm not willing to spend another penny on this problem. I started posting this "one way of doing it" because I have rarely seen other posts actually give a different answer other than "take it to the GM dealership." I questioned a few dealerships and they "will not disable Passlock or Passkey" for anyone.(If they told us how to do it ourselves they would have to kill us.) So this means they "will replace the Ignition Lock Cylinder" for a nominal fee. Honestly, I'm just trying to help other desperate people out there. You know what they say, "Desperate people do desperate things." I think this modification works great!

Just one more thing. Why is it that we never see any posts on this forum of people who are happy with their Passlock or Passkey. You know, like, "Passlock really saved my car from being ripped off!" Hooray! I'm not ready to relinquish my membership in The Anti-Passlock Club just yet.

Ray

Last edited by raycorri; 02-25-2006 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Correction of grammar and addition of Anti-theft history and initial question.
raycorri is offline   Reply With Quote