View Single Post
Old 12-11-2005, 06:21 AM   #1
Lambo003
AF Enthusiast

Realistic Side Markers

This is one of those little details that's usually left off most models because they're either too difficult to BMF, paint or it is just all together overlooked.

Almost all cars have this sort of side marker light and they can be found on very early cars such as the Miura shown here, all the way up to more modern Diablo's (and not just Lamborghini specific)

This is the little bugger I'm talking about!

Most of the time they come molded on the body. Every now and then you will get proper clear parts but, you still have to paint them and the results aren't very realistic looking. You also are left with no chrome trim ring around them.

What I've used here is Detail Master's engine detail set, 5 minute clear epoxy and Tamiya clear orange. On the Photoetched set we'll only use the parts circled.

The process is pretty straightforward. You mix up a small amount of the epoxy, then add little by little, a few drops of the clear orange (or whatever color you need). Once it's mixed thoroughly it will look a little milky and bubbly. After setting up this will disappear and become clear.

The key hear is to work fast as the epoxy sets up rather quick. You could use a slower setting epoxy, it's just that I'm the kinda guy that wanted it finished "TWO DAYS AGO".

Use a toothpick or needle to transfer the epoxy mixture to the surface of the photoetched part. Work your first application around the edge and then fill in the center. You can now add additional mixture to build up the height of the epoxy until you like the way it looks and seems correct for the scale. If there are any bubbles in the epoxy, try to quickly work them out with a needle or by blowing on the piece.

When you're satisfied with the look, set them aside to cure completely. Usually 24 hours.

What you will be left with is a nicely domed light with awesome relectivity!

By using the photoetched top trim with the raised dot in the center, it gives you the appearance of a bulb inside the side marker.

Once you cut the part from the tree, the thickness of the photoetched part will look like a perfect chrome trim ring found on the full size part!

Don't limit yourself to the parts listed here. There are literally thousands of other photoetched shapes and sizes. You may have one that works better for you!

Of course, if you have a good definition line around a "molded in" light, the same technique can be used over Bare Metal Foil.

Here I used it on the lights of my P51 model.

Finally, I've used this to replicate a baked enamel look on photoetched emblems and even right over kit decals where a high gloss and VERY DURABLE finish was needed!

Here over the emblem decal of my Volvo kit.

EDIT: Here are Detail Master's knock-off photoetched fret. These can be used also and have a lot more parts! More bang for the buck! It's all about the $$$. . .

(Note: The centers of the first several parts here have been colored black and are not etched through. They are just like the parts off to the right.)

Last edited by Lambo003; 12-11-2005 at 01:37 PM.
Lambo003 is offline   Reply With Quote