View Single Post
Old 04-14-2004, 07:12 AM   #22
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Re: Need tips on starting a car customizing business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod&Custom
Sound systems aren't custom work guys, lets start thinking here. it is just fiberglass and subwoofers. This is not custom. Can you lead a car like Bill Heinz?(not sure if the last name is spelled correctly)I doubt it, but you all probably think you are crazy customizers due to your fiberglass filler and 12" sub that you BOUGHT from some RadioShack. It really gets under my skin when these "customizers" can't even recess a taillight, antenna, or even simply french a headlight. They wouldn't know where to start. But they do know how to screw their NOS into their chrome "cold air pipes". Ahhh, what happened to the old hot rod world. Its dying to these 4 bangin bumble bee exhaust cars. Whats worse is that they like it. They wish to have a fast and the furious car, when the real cars are on American Graffiti, yet they have never heard of it. And no, the '50 merc doesn't want a ricer paint job, he likes it to look nice.
FYI, any time you change something other than an OEM part I hate to tell you that you ARE customizing. Granted, changing out a stereo doesn't require the skills that leading in a panel needs but it is still on the same line. I like how you over simplified my bizz. You know, I actually also do car restorations on the side. This knowledge has helped me a lot. Also, I work within a very large rod and customs shop. They don't want to chance working on electronics and admire my expertise just as I do theirs. As far as people being flagged from you because they "customize" by having some vinyle graphics and a remote start installed is silly. You got to realize that when someone buys a $30k or higher priced car, they do not want to nor could afford to put more $$ for a $10k paintjob. Besides, if they do, most regular insurance companies like State Farm or Nationwide will not cover anything like that. I do not know about you but I feel having that kind of money in a paint job you can't insure isn't the way to go.
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote