View Single Post
Old 03-07-2009, 05:37 PM   #11
zorobabel
AF Newbie

Re: 99 5sfe - weird brake vibration and engine vibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedranger View Post
I agree with what MikeG has said. However, and I just might be a bit slow this morning, but I could not figure out if you replaced just the pads and put the "ruined" rotor back on or what. You have mentioned vibrations when driving and not braking, and I was not clear if you are talking about a pulsating feel as you mentioned in the original post it was "exactly like you'd feel the abs kicking in" or a vibration caused by something else like a broken motor mount or out of balance wheel. But at this point, since you are focused on the brakes, making sure those are assemled correctly, slidepins are cleaned and lubed, and that the rotors have been trued up should be a start. I will confess ingnorance here but are there anti-rattle clips in your brakes? If so check and make sure those are installed. While the brakes may be part of your problem, I hazard a guess the virbations have another cause in the suspension or steering. Good luck!
Sorry for the confusion, let me make things a bit clearer.
I only replaced the front driver side pads as they started grinding, and my landlord doesn't allow car work - I did a quick clandestine fix in the evening. I never took the rotor out, but I was reffering to the current rotor when talking about the ruined rotor in the other post. It was not miror finish, but it was in pretty good shape. I'm saying that's ruined because now with the new pads the freeway vibration (when it starts) is also felt in the steering wheel, so I'm pretty sure the rotor gets hot and the warping is exacerbated, causing the vibration - it's still a weird one, nonetheless, but it's "exactly like you'd feel the abs kicking in". It's also felt when braking, once it starts. All the brake components are in place. I'm thinking on getting the piston out of the caliper and look for trouble spots, then re-lubing it, and wish for success.

I'm pretty sure it's the brakes now, and I haven't checked some of the things kindly suggested in the other posts. I haven't checked wheel balance, I am 100 % sure I need to replace the front strut mounts - as this is a common problem for this year, and I can feel in spine that my car car is affected; the rear motor mount is the only one left to replace, and I'm pretty sure it needs replacing. I plan on doing the rear motor mount in 2500 miles when I'll change the oil, and hopefully do it in friend's garage; it seems it's pretty hard to take out, and I have some medical problems, but I'm getting better.
zorobabel is offline   Reply With Quote