View Single Post
Old 11-14-2004, 10:05 PM   #3
enchantedgypsy
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Help I think my brother in law got screwed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73
Not sure what state you live in, but this is simpler than you think. You can contact your local police and tell them that you have had an abandoned vehicle on your property for one year. They can look up the VIN and tell you more. This is a double edged sword, though. If the police locate and find the owner, they can contest ownership. Make sure he has a receipt of proof that he paid for it. A cancelled check works well. Most states do an abandoned vehicle title really easily. Most states its just a trip to common pleas court and they'll issue you a temporary writ of ownership that you use to get registration. The state will then issue a new title.

I would say the first plan is to call the state DMV at their main office at the state capitol. Tell them the VIN of your abandoned vehicle (that's the key word; abandoned) and they should be able to call it up. If they can't, its gravy. Head to the court and get your paperwork. If they CAN identify the owner, ask them what needs to be done, and follow it to the letter.

The ultimate two sources; 1) Your state's DMV website. It will list it all. 2) your local AAA office. They are a fountain of info. If you encounter idiots at your office, go to another. You're bound to find one who knows their s#!t. Chances are, they know more than the DMV since they deal with it daily on the practical level, whereas the DMV is often so huge that the specialization of each job makes things a little skewed.
Thanks I will run it by my brother in law .They live in mass
enchantedgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote