View Single Post
Old 05-31-2020, 04:35 PM   #9
fuelcheck
AF Newbie

Re: Things To Consider Before Buying a Vehicle

Two things I would like to discuss here, insurance costs and extended warranty.

Do your due diligence in determining the costs involved in insuring your car. Research the costs compared to other similar models. Search out the Institute for Highway Safety ratings on the model that interests you to see if their score of the car will cost you money in owning it.

Now, for my own PET PEEVE, extended warranties.......
An Extended Warranty is a contract and a negotiable instrument. It is for sale. By that, I mean that although the warranty is written between you and the dealership, it does not have to remain with the dealership. It can be sold to a third party without your approval. Then it can be sold again......and again......and again.....until it is owned by the weakest hands, someone who is incapable of making repairs to your car or who refuses to. I was a victim of such a situation, after purchasing a 1986 Honda Accord new from the dealership. No more extended warranties for me, I'll take my chances.

One more thing. Do not go into the dealership and sit in a booth with a salesperson trying to negotiate a price. You cannot win at this game and will end up frustrated and even mad. Go to the local Credit Union and sit down with the car buyer there. Explain what you want and how much you are willing to pay for the car that is for sale down at Blank Auto Sales. Let him do the negotiating for you, which he will do for free because he wants to finance the purchase for you. You will end up with a check from the Credit Union, made out to the dealership for the exact amount that you agree to and will not be subjected to the maddening custom of having to sit with the "Finance Manager" after you have agreed to a purchase price.
fuelcheck is offline   Reply With Quote