View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #56
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: Chevy Colorado Issues = P 0017 code cure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zundapman View Post
Yet another update. I finally broke down and used a commercial oil additive to slightly thicken my oil and increase viscosity. Lo and Behold... the Check Engine light as stayed off for several days. My mechanic, after all this, said he didn't think it could be an oil related issue because I had recently changed my oil. It looks like we may have spent over $300.00 for nothing! The additive I tried was recommended for "high performance" engines and the clerk at Auto Zone. At the rate I expect to use it, I now have a two or three year supply!
these engines are a problem with this code. any dirt or sludge restricts the oil passageways.

to avoid any more code issues p0017 change oil only when engine is hot. use synthetic oil. do not use fram filters. wix/pure one purolator/ac delco are much better at removing particles and have a stronger filter media. lifter leak down is from carbon on the hydroylic lifters therefore use 5 OZ of marvel mystery oil to the crankcase to clean these lifters.

the part that usually causes the code is the camshaft actuator solenoid valve . this has a screen so any dirt/sludge creates this issue. removal of the part and inspect the screen.

many have this problem. increasing oil viscosity may have reduces lifter leaking off. if the lifters have bleed off the timing will be off for a short time. marvel mystery oil does a great job of cleaning the lifters.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote