View Single Post
Old 03-22-2007, 12:31 PM   #1
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

Decanting spray paint for airbrushing

Since A/F is embedding photos into the threads; this will be my final post on A/F until they quit doing that

Don't buy anything from the advertiser whose ad is embedded into my post. Firefox users don't see them. IE users do.

Recently someone turned me onto the simplest solution I've heard of yet to decant spray paint. It costs nearly nothing, it does not make a mess, and no tools beyond a pair of scissors or your X Acto knife are needed. No need to go the hardware store or clean up a disaster. Captions below photos.

Ingredients:
Spray Can
Length of drinking straw
Small piece of Fun Tack (poster tack)
Suitable container

Make an O-ring from the fun tack and surround the nozzle with it.

Attach the straw to the fun-tack O-ring, adjust as necessary to make a good seal.

Simply spray the paint into a container. The paint mostly runs into the container, splashing/mess is almost non-existant. Remove straw & fun tack, wipe nozzle clean, and the spray can is able to be used again. No need to poke holes into a spray can!

Fun tack removed, nozzle wiped clean w/a paper towel. Fast, clean, easy; spray can is still usable. Decanted paint is ready to run through an airbrush. Let decanted paint sit open before covering the container, unless you immediately spray it through an airbrush. The propellant from the decanted paint is still there, if you cover the container it will pressurize and make a mess when you open it later. I have had zero problems w/immediately spraying the decanted paint through my airbrush, the propellant atomizes completely before hitting the model's surface.

This is one of my all-time favorite KISS methods.