View Single Post
Old 10-21-2008, 08:50 AM   #58
t_arnold
AF Newbie

Re: Advice to new riders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89IROC&RS
ok not to be a guy or anything, but do i even need to make a joke about the last two sentences in girli97qt's post??????

but seriously. im a car guy, new to cycles, i repect the views of older, and more experienced riders. however i think that to approach the sport from the point of view that its all buisness and no fun, its not right. also coming from a harly family background, the view on helmets is slightly different. on a sport bike, at speed, in traffic, yes, i totally and completey support the use of full coverage helmets. however they are not always needed, and can in fact, cause fatal injuries, do to skull bounce. laying down a bike, or worse, falling backwards off one, if you hit on the flesh, you get road rash, hit with a helmet, and it can bounce back hard enough to break your neck. i have known three people this has happend to. i do not mean to counter anyone on here, seeing as i do not even own a motorcycle at this point, however i thought it was a point someone should bring up. remember guys, as serious a deal as this sport can be, i think its safe to say that eveyone does it becaue its fun, and you enjoy it. try also to pass that part along to those prepairing to join ya on the road.
(1) "Coming from a Harley background, the view on helmets is slightly different. on a sport bike, at speed, in traffic, yes, i totally and completey support the use of full coverage helmets." Explain to me why riding a sportbike in traffic is different than riding a Harley in traffic? I have heard this argument many times. "Riding a sport bike you need a full coverage helmet, on a cruiser, you don't" I have been riding for 22 years, cruisers, sport bikes, and a goldwing. I use my full face helmet 90% of the time. The other 10% I use my Modular. Mainly for charity rides and group rides, because it makes communications easier when you are riding in formation because you can flip the chin bar up to talk.
(2)"however they are not always needed, and can in fact, cause fatal injuries, do to skull bounce. laying down a bike, or worse, falling backwards off one, if you hit on the flesh, you get road rash, hit with a helmet, and it can bounce back hard enough to break your neck. i have known three people this has happend to." If you are wearing a turtle shell, as some cruiser riders do, when you hit on the back of the head, the helmet can slide up enough to crack your skull. I have seen this happen a couple of times. At least with a full face, you have more protection from front, side & rear impact than with a turtle shell, or no helmet. I also know that when wearing a backpack, there is more risk of a broken neck because the backpack will hit before your head. You run more of a risk of Fatal injuries with a turtle shell or no helmet than you do with a full face helmet. A helmet is always needed, You never know when something will happen. You can run to the corner store for a pack of smokes, and get hit from the rear waiting to pull into your driveway, this happened to a neighbor. He wasn't wearing his helmet, he got rolled up over the hood. got a concussion from hitting the windshield with the back of his head as well as needing stitches. I'm not saying a helmet would have helped the concussion, but it would have helped with not needing stitches. Anothe freind of mine, who usually rides with a turtle shell, wore his full face one morning because it was cold & rainy. He got hit by a car and went down on his right side, He came out of it pretty well. Twisted ankle, bruises, Scuffed leathers, and a big scrape up the right side of the helmet and face shield. If he had been wearing his turtle shell, it would have been his face that got ground up. He was lucky. Sorry to be long winded. I just had to make a couple of comments.

Last edited by t_arnold; 10-21-2008 at 09:22 AM.
t_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote