View Single Post
Old 01-11-2016, 07:01 PM   #40
imster
AF Newbie

Re: Honda NSR500 (1984)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John18d View Post
Thanks Imster for the paint procedure on the exhaust cans - I have a small bottle of the Spastix Chrome, but have never used it because I believe it's really made for RC Lexan bodies and thus has acetone in it which can melt styrene.
So I've been hesitant to try to use it on plastic model styrene, but you appear to have had no issues using it.
Therefore I am going to have to give it a try on a white plastic spoon, that's what I told myself when I bought the Spastix Chrome when I was looking for better chrome metal effects, but settled on Alclad and Kotsutte gin san powder.

If you procedure for painting the expansion chambers in on eScale - I can go and look at your postings there as I am a member with the same user name as here on AF, unless you still want to post that procedure here on AF for others.

I have seen your bike builds on eScale along with Mark's "Marco"
You two guys have built some nicely done bikes.
I also bought a bike jig from Mark - I think maybe I was even the first one to buy one when I first saw him use it.
I was also the one who asked him to make me a new set of the wood blocks, because his original jig was too narrow for an inline 4 engine bike.
I was building the Kawaski ZX-RR motoGP bike and the original jig was too narrow for it.
Marco made me the wood blocks for a setup like you are using where the aluminum bar stock is not completely recessed into the edges of the wood blocks.
Marco's original jig was built for the YZR250 "Harada" bike he was building at the time and that 1/12 Tamiya kit is quite narrow compared to the 500cc 2-stroke GP bikes and the newer motoGP bikes that are available now.

the areas on the body work you painted instead of the brittle decals - was that Zero paints colors?

Cheers Imster
John
The Spazstix Chrome I used was "Ultimate Mirror Chrome" and on the bottle it also says "For Plastic Parts", I have a feeling you might not have the same one? Although this does have acetone in it I didnt notice any adverse reactions when I used it.

Yes Marco and I are doing a buddy build on this kit and his is taking shape very nicely! The jigs are awesome and perfect for anyone who is serious about building motorcycle kits.

The areas of the bodywork that are blue were painted on with Tamiya TS-15 Blue decanted and sprayed through my airbrush, the colour match is pretty much perfect with the decals (maybe a tad darker)
imster is offline   Reply With Quote