View Single Post
Old 04-11-2015, 01:46 PM   #1
willimo
Sweet, sweet tiny Hondas.

Bolt-on Beauties: Rocket Bunny 86 and BRZ

Y'all may remember me as someone who builds models. Well, occasionally I finish some! Frank got me building again by challenging me to a weekend build of the BRZ, which ended up taking two weeks but that's a lot less time than usual! That got me fired up and I finished the Rocket Bunny 86 which has been on the bench for a long, long time.

Both are in Tamiya spray. The 86 is TS-85 Bright Mica Red, and the BRZ is AS-something. I don't remember. 86 has Tamiya clear, while I tried Mr. Clear for the first time on the BRZ, and was very happy with it!

I used the Rocket Bunny v2 rear spoiler, Craft Square mirrors and CCW classic wheels from Eightyone. I added small pieces of plastic between the back of the wheel face and the wheel hoop on the front wheels to make their offset more positive than the rear, to give them a staggered look. I used SMS carbon fiber decals on the front valance and rear, as well as on the interior and the spoiler. I also swapped the seat for some old Supra seats because they look a lot better. I left the engine stock.

This is the Tamiya kit with the Eightyone transkit. The casting was tremendous on their fender flares and everything else. It went on very easily and looks great. Had I known that Aoshima would make it all injection molded I may have waited, since it took me so long to built anyway. But I really did enjoy putting the transkit on - it's a pretty new experience for me. The wheels are from 81 as well, and I used their Photoetch for the wing endplates. I forgot what resin seats I used - probably hobby design - and the brakes are old C1 models brakes (I got quite a lot of mileage out of those by using one brake face and cutting the calipers in half). I am bummed that Tamiya's hood doesn't open more, in hindsight and if I hadn't built them concurrently, I would have built it so that the hood comes off rather than opens. Or at least cut the prongs that hold it in place off so that I could remove it if I felt like it.

Thanks for looking, I am glad to be back!

Recent builds: Rocket Bunny FR-S and stock BRZ Toyota bB Bro-style Civic K20 powered SiR converted EK WIP I build slowly and poorly.
willimo is offline   Reply With Quote