View Single Post
Old 03-06-2003, 01:07 AM   #1
deedlit
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to deedlit
Post Flaming "How to"

Hi to all,

some people wanted to know how the flaming was done on the Beetle-F150.
What I explain here is the way my friend used to paint his car. There are lots of ways to paint flamings, this one isn't probably the best but it works very well. If you have other tips and tricks to paint flamings, please share your experience with us.

All texts, pictures and explanations are copyright of Guillaume Lefèvre aka maquettedecox.
Maquette de Cox

Here is how it was done.
1: the shape of the car is drawn on paper (blue lines). Put a layer of adhesive-film on clear plastic and put these up to the paper. You can see thru the plastic the shapes of the car and draw your flames on the adhesive film. It's easier to work on something flat than on the car.

2: The adhesive film is cut with X-acto and some car-lines are kept to adjust the film on the body. The green line is the hood of the newbeetle.

3: The entire car is painted silver because the flames will be silver. In fact, you don't paint the flames but hide them and then paint the final coat. Put your "masks" on the car very carefully.

4: Paint the entire car with your final coat, wait 5 minutes and remove your "masks" very carefully.

5: The flames are surrounded in orange with a pen and clear-coat is applied.

It's done.

I hope you understood my bad english and hope it will be usefull to some of us.

Deedlit

Last edited by deedlit; 08-25-2003 at 08:40 AM.
deedlit is offline   Reply With Quote