View Single Post
Old 10-08-2006, 10:32 PM   #47
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Re: Excessive Oil Consumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by 534BC
Even if that did hapen (which it probably won't) making a change to the symtoms (in the wrong direction by making it worse) may indicate what the problem is. The first indication of any fuel leak would be an increase in level, not a decrease.

As far as the possibility of worn rings at 85k is completely understandable and would not surpise me at all. I've learned how to wear out rings in no time doing all sorts of experiments. It is very possible.

In any case I think doing only 1 change at a time is good and will soon see how the thicker oil did. Another post reminds me that a compression test with and without oil in cylinder may check for worn (compression) rings. When pulling plugs a nice story may also be told.
A slow leak could dilute the oil enough that it is being burned more than the level is increasing. Only a small amoutn of fuel in the oil will dilute it enough to make it a lot more consumable.

Thicker oil is a cover up for the real problem. Using thicker oil is not the solution to the problem seeing this engine is made for 5w30 so it should be able to use it no problem.