View Single Post
Old 06-03-2001, 11:06 AM   #1
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

Send a message via ICQ to igor@af Send a message via AIM to igor@af
Infiniti Q45 vs. Lexus LS430

They compared these "Sensational sedans" in the July Issue.
The new Q45

Lexus LS430

Here are the factors they considered:

Performance, where the new Q got 6.5 second 0-60 time vs. LS430's 6.4. The Q45 is about 80 lb. lighter and has 340hp versus LS430's 290hp. They said it must be the gearing that made the Q slower. But they basically made a point that both of these cars are the cream of the crop and 1/10 of a second really doesnt make any difference.

Comfort, both of these cars are again, cream of the crop in this category, the engine sound of either car can not be heard at a dead stop or slow speeds. Amazingly, at speeds in excess of 75mph, the Q isolated wind noise better than the LS [they think because of the swoopier profile] but the Lexus controlled road noise better [I am guessing because of the difference in tires-
Q45: P245/45R-18
LS430: 225/55R-17]

Styling, the LS430 is defined by the classic lines of a European "saloon," a three-box theme that's elegant and unassumaning. Whereas, the new Q shouts "Look at me!" They noted that every design aspect of the new Q looks fresh and original except that the rounded taillights remind them of the Audi A6's. The editors seemed to like the Q's styling, but they said only time will tell if it's a winner.

Value, there was no contest at all here: Q45 beats the LS by a big margin : Over $5,000

Conclusion, what? Already?
To summarize their Results table, Lexus beat the Infiniti by 7 points in Performance in these categories: Skidpad, Braking, and Fuel economy. The Q beat the LS by 7 points in "Subjective Ratings" as they call it, Driving excitement, Engine, Handling, Exterior styling, Luggage space, etc.

So at this point the score is 362 vs. 362
And so the real winner was decided by the Price, $56,507 vs. $62,098. This gave the Q a 7-point edge over the LS430.

And thus, the final score was 562 vs. 555.

Infiniti wins.

So, is this the Infiniti era now? What do you think?
I am really worried about the 5.9 second 0-60 Infiniti advertised, and now R/T was able to squeze out 6.5. I hope its gear ratios, but who knows

Sound your opinion! Comon!

Last edited by igor@af; 06-03-2001 at 02:14 PM.
igor@af is offline   Reply With Quote