View Single Post
Old 03-18-2008, 08:33 AM   #1
retsigerlehcar
AF Newbie

'99 ZX2 dies when you press the brake

I'll give you the recent history of this car. Several months ago on the way home, the car instantly overheated and died. We towed it home and it would still start, but was very rough. At that time we replaced the head gasket, along with several other gaskets, and found out the manifold was cracked so we replaced it also. It had a leak in a water line, that was fixed also. I'm not 100% sure what else my husband has replaced other than spark plugs and little things like that. But we got it running again. OH, we also replaced the entire exhaust, because it had also been torn off by an idiot that dropped it off the back of a trailer.

So after we got it running again, my husband noticed a lot of gunk in the antifreeze. They flushed the radiator and found that it was clogged really bad. But after the flush they were only able to get about 1/3rd of the amount of antifreeze in it. It seems to me like it must still be clogged but I'm not sure about that. I don't know if any of that has anything to do with our most recent problem, but thought I would put that on here just in case.

Now, after the car warms up it dies everytime the brake is pressed. If you are able to press the clutch, brake and give it a little gas all at the same time, it will stay on. Anybody have any ideas about what else is wrong with this car? It's a 5 speed, 200k miles, we've owned it for 5 yrs and never had troubles before. It has been moderately maintained as far as oil changes, etc.
retsigerlehcar is offline   Reply With Quote