View Single Post
Old 03-02-2016, 09:07 AM   #9
icon_modeler
AF Regular

Re: porsche 962 long tail 87 rear hatch pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegt40 View Post
thanks rene, it is anyway at leats curious that in official porsche ag museum they place a "mistaken" car. All my doubts come indeed looking at their car there, while all the pics of the period I found were showing a slimmer rear end. Think it is clear now btw, must go for this option..

Thnks all, starting a wip very soon of this nice car.
It has been said before, never trust a museum or restored car for accuracy. I work for a restoration shop and we are currently doing everything we can to restore 935-001 to the way it crossed the finish line at Watkins Glenn 1976. When we received the car it was said to be all original but after much research we have found many things that have been changed and that are completely wrong. We are doing everything we can to correct this but the guy in charge is not as faithful to the original car as I would like to be. We have referenced the car in the Porsche museum 935-002 as well only to find many things wrong with it as well. The car in the museum has a nose on it that only was used in the first two races of 1976 and practice at LeMans and the wheels are completely wrong for the 1976 car. The engine has also been changed and uses the wrong intake plenum and inter-coolers. I have found that the Porsche museum is among the worst for keeping a car or restoring a car as an accurate representation from the period in which it raced. It is very frustrating that even Porsche is not interested in preserving their own history.
icon_modeler is offline   Reply With Quote