View Single Post
Old 10-07-2017, 04:10 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: crank no start Olds 98

Anyway, after getting the timing marks set, and everything back together, she fired up! Had no idea what was wrong, no oil pressure. She shut down but did not lock up.

Did you "pack" the vanes of the oil pump? Prime the oil filter?

Apparently, if the PCM notices no oil pressure for awhile, the PCM lowers the fuel pressure, as a safety measure to the engine.(para-phrasing).

There is no such thing....the fuel pump is controlled by the PCM and by the Oil pressure switch, wired in parallel....The oil pressure switch is only a backup circuit, in case the f/p relay fails....thus, if the relay failed, after about a couple seconds, the oil pressure switch will close once oil pressure built up(all it takes is a couple PSI), and provide power to the f/p...If the oil pressure switch failed, the f/p relay would be still be powered by the PCM, as long as there was a reference signal from the ICM....

That was mid May of this year, since then, I've installed an oil pump repair kit from Rockauto. Since doing so, I've reestablished oil pressure and fuel pressure to the fuel rail. I do have spark on all 3 coil packs. However, after testing the injectors, all 6 have power but, cyl. 1, 3 & 5 do not have crank signal. Any ideas?

You either have a bad wiring harness or a bad PCM.....The injectors all get power from the same place.....they are grounded individually by the PCM(ECM).....since three injectors are working, the reference signal from the ICM to the PCM is present...
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote