View Single Post
Old 08-04-2004, 10:47 PM   #6
mcervantes
Writer mod

Smile

My take on this, for whatever it's worth:
I think Hyundai could make it work, if they try hard enough. The shots floating around the internet of the new Sonata certainly look promising. As the article states, Hyundai doesn't want to have to wait another vehicle generation to launch this new line, insisting on rushing in time for the '07 launch. IF it's true, that's where I have to object a bit. Hyundai's image, as seen in some of the previous posts, is still a bit iffy here in America and I think it'd do them best to let their newfound status as a builder of top-ranked quality cars develop a bit first.

I think the next generation of Hyundais could put them very close to Toyota and Honda, at which time they'd be wise to launch the luxury line. But then again, who knows how the US economy will be in 2007, no less a few years after that.

No matter what, it's going to take them time to develop the brand once it's on the market. Just look at Acura and Infiniti - a lot of average consumers would have a hard time defining what those two stand for. One final thing to remember is that although Hyundai doesn't yet have the sterling image of Toyota, Honda, or even Nissan; those companies weren't even as highly regarded when they launched their luxury brands as they are now. Anything is possible in this market. My .02.....

Mike Cervantes
AutomotiveArticles.com Editor-in-Chief
mcervantes is offline   Reply With Quote