View Single Post
Old 02-12-2014, 01:14 PM   #4
Codi71
AF Newbie

Re: 1980 Olds Toronado 350R Teardown and Rebuild.

Ya I guess I need to say what stage I'm at, I've taken out the transmission and pulled it completely apart ( pretty entertaining ) It's getting the full rebuild absolutely every part is being replaced I already have the parts (because I can). Deciding on the shift kit is where I am stuck and the lack of lockup is a bit discouraging. I have been thinking about getting a 425L in that case I could also get a big block and that takes away from the whole last year of production deal (plus this is just a starter car and I have big plans for the next one 53merc)

It has the rally suspension but I was thinking like Tonka if I could make the thing solid, like sports car like with the smooth ride. I was playing with the idea of taking a more modern air suspension from a Caddie but would there really be much benefit, its got the sway bars sorta ( last owner welded them together? really I don't know why?) or should I just put some premium shocks in and call it a day?

. Is there a specific shift kit for touring Vehicles. I also had a new torque converter made for it at a 2200 stall any concerns with the new parts?

I have the engine out and tossed all that ugly emission's stuff, to be blunt I'm done with emissions Sensors, Cats, its just to much of a headache and I want it to be simple if I ever break down. I plan on gutting the block as soon as Alberta thaws and sending it for a polish. When I researched the engine I read that the 350R has Crack prone heads. I don't really know what this means, what makes the heads crack and how do I improve it?

Not to be rude but Obviously you change out the cigarette lighter I'm more concerned about Ac-Dc power and if one inverter will be enough for all five plugs or do I require one inverter for each plug?

I want this to be my daily driver but have the power when I want it and have some Attitude . I don't really see any logic to boring out a FWD vehicle that's for kids.
Codi71 is offline   Reply With Quote