View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 02:53 AM   #69
Turbo_Diesel
AF Newbie

Re: Airtex Fuel Pumps - Buyer Beware

@ old_master:
Listen, I hear ya on the soldering... really, I do. And, on rare occassion, I break out my soldering iron and such. However, I don't have time for all that nonsense most of the time.

I own a very good set of Gardner-Bender crimp tools (not the cheap crap most people have that just crush the connector flat at the crimp - those things are garbage), and I have never had any problems with a properly crimped butt-splice connection that has been correctly sealed up. Problem is, most people never do PROPER crimp connections, nor do they seal them up either.
Yes, you definitely still have to heat shrink wrap them after crimping them if they are exposed to the elements. If inside, such as in the cab/interior of a vehicle, well, it's really not critical to shrink wrap 'em.

I no longer use the expensive connectors that come with the shrink wrap already on them. You just ruin the shrink wrap when you crimp them, so they are pointless and very pricey. I've found that it's best to buy the shrink tubing at length, and cut it to fit your own for each wire crimp job. The hardest part is getting yourself into the habit of always putting the tubing over the wire BEFORE you crimp a new connector in place. LOL

BTW guys... I found that the "2-by-2 stacked" 4-pin connector, apparently the OEM original for my truck's fuel pump, IS still available. That also explains why my new Bosch fuel pump module came with that OEM style female connector on it, and no additional pigtail in the box, like most other pumps have included. Apparently every other manufacturer has switched to the new style "flat-4" plug harness, except Bosch?!

It sure would have been nice if ANYBODY would have told me about these things, but parts store guys nowadays are all pretty much just know-nothing counter-monkeys. I don't entirely blame them though. I more place the blame on the parts industry as a whole for not hiring good people, TRAINING them for the long haul, and then retaining them (by paying them well enough) for years to come.
It's really a sad world we live in nowadays. Any random dumbass works in a parts store now, and if they can scan your item's bar code and sell it to you - they're hired (for minimum wage). Looking up certain parts can turn into a fiasco... if it isn't in that magical box (we call it a computer), most of them can't (or won't) help you find what you need - as they're just too damned dense. But, I digress... Sorry for getting off topic.

So, back on topic:

In case you ever need to buy the truck-side fuel pump weather pack connectors:

The "OLD STYLE" factory OEM, 2-by-2, 4-pin CONNECTOR is a ACDelco P/N: PT2054 (GM P/N: 88988598)
They are stupid expensive, plan on shelling out around $50 bucks for one.
Oh, and a bit of interesting info on this connector is that they are also used with some Oxygen Sensors. This is good to know for obtaining used ones if need be!

The "NEWER STYLE", flat-4, 4-pin CONNECTOR is a heckuva lot cheaper, at only $12.99 at Advance Auto Parts. Comes with crimp-on connectors. Granted, it's an Airtex branded part. I looked at one, and it seems to be of decent enough quality to do its job well. The P/N is: WH3009.

Either way, don't forget your heat shrink wrap tubing and your good quality electrical tape!

Oh, and just to repeat application info... The truck I'm dealing with is a 1998 Chevy K1500 (1/2 ton 4x4) with the 4.3L V-6 engine. Odds are, this fuel pump fits a plethora of other Chevy's - I'm sure of that.
Turbo_Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote