View Single Post
Old 01-01-2004, 12:57 PM   #14
86_SR5
AF Fanatic

1994 DODGE STEALTH R/T TT

Everyone remembers the days when muscle cars ruled the streets. Classic names like Chevy, Ford, and Dodge were seen everywhere from the local drag strips to the stoplights on Hollywood Boulevard. Most of us are too young to remember some of the classic Dodge, and Chrysler muscle cars such as the Superbee, and the Road Runner. Well, today, Dodge offers a car that has muscle car blood running in its veins, power in its gut, and the stylish looks of the modern day car.

We introduce the 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo, by AMT/Ertl. The car features a unique engine/drive train system. It’s composed of Chryslers famed 3.0 liter, DOHC, v6, equipped with Twin Turbo chargers. The car cranks out 300hp, and around 280 ft lbs. of torque. With the awd system at hand, the car is capable of speeds well beyond the imagination of anyone.

Body, Engine, Interior:

AMT has done a well job of capturing the cars body lines quite well. Those who are interested in mold lines, the car has about 6 total (at least the kit I got did). It’s complete with the hatch style wing the glues right behind the rear window like on the 1:1 car. The engine and drivetrain are done quite well, amt has done a fine job of supply both turbo’s, and all the piping, and air boxes needed to represent the TT V6. The only thing that seems to be missing is the two intercoolers that the 1:1 car has mounted in the front clip of the vehicle. The interior is not quite what the experienced builder would expect, the car is a 2+2 2 seater sports car, whereas the model’s interior is the coupe version with a rear seat. This can be taken care of with a dremel, cutting disc, plastic card, and some putty.
The interior features bucket seats, a short shifter for the Getrag 5spd manual with overdrive transaxel. The dash seems to be complete, is missing proper decals for gauge faces however, this is something an in-experienced modeler wouldn’t care about. The steering wheel, and center console look complete, but could use some better detail.

Wheels and Suspension:

The Stealth sports 17” cast aluminum 5spoke slanted razor style rims with Good Year Eagle Gatorback direction, v-tread rubber. Amt did a very nice job with coming to accuracy with the rubbers for this car, look very nice, only complaint is you have to cut out some rubber on one side of the wheel for the rim to fit, if not done right, the rim sits to one side. The rim looks to be about 14”x5”, very ugly. Hardly looks like the 1:1 car’s rims which are very nice, and sharp, whereas these are fat and rounded. The optional rims are “17’’ “ Fittistar wheels, basic 5spoke, dipped wheel, looks similar to that of an American Racing wheel. These suit the car much better than the stockers.
The suspension is captured nicely and looks to be what you’d expect from a fine Revell kit. Although, it does seem to sit a little high, some trimming of the springs, and bending of the suspension pieces allow the car to sit at the correct R/T TT cars height.

Under Chassis:

The under chassis is nicely detailed, which includes accurate suspension bolt-up places, and exhaust bolt in points. The fuel tank is molded into the chassis, and looks to represent the full detail of the car including the slots that are seen on most fuel tanks. The rear diffuser is made into the car’s rear clip, which, I’m not sure about, but I think was bolted onto the under chassis.

The Judgement:

Overall this kit was finely done, most pieces captured accurately, besides the few things I’ve pointed out, I can’t find anything else wrong with the car. With the kit’s MSRP ranging from $9.00-$12.50 usd PPOL (Price Pending On Location, and store) it’s definitely a good kit to add to your collection if you’re a Mopar Maniac, or just want to get out of a modeling block. I suggest this car to an in-experienced builder as a great starter model, and for the experienced who want to take this to the edge, such as my friend Adam, who purchased this same kit, and placed a 1/24th scale 360cubic inch, supercharged, fuel injected small block Dodge motor in this, which he modified the frame, and suspension to make it fit the RWD format while keeping the car’s ride height and overall look the same.

I rate this kit a 6.5-7/10 kit. Considering it’s an AMT, the detail, and price it’s a very cool car overall to build, and will look just as mean as any other Mopar muscle machine, or modern day sports car sitting on your shelf.
VENGEANCE IS MINE
SAYETH THE LORD
NO FEAR
86_SR5 is offline   Reply With Quote